Friday, July 31, 2015

A lovely summer week :)

Well, this has been quite a lovely week.  Lots of sun and lots of fun!

I'm going to make this a quickie- just wanted to share a few things...

First- went blueberry picking last Saturday at North Star Orchards.  One of my FAVE places to visit with the kids.  Great in the summer and great in the fall!  It was rather hot, so we picked as many blueberries as we could stand (10 minutes worth) and went in the shop to get some produce and mini half-moons.  Their blueberries are deelish.  Their iced blueberry cookies are crack.  I look forward to going again real soon, especially since there were still plenty of unripe blueberries on the bushes, so we really had to use a discerning eye to pick out nice dark ripe ones.

Ohhh I digress for a sec- they sell this yogurt there that is out of this world!  It's high protein (11g... not really sure what that means lol but I guess that's a lot!), it's a totally different consistency than regular yogurt or greek yogurt... it's more... custardy??  I don't know.  You can stir it all you want, and it's not going to get smooth or homogenous like regular yogurt.  I'm sure I'm making this sound horrible.  But it's ahmaazing.  I had it after I worked out this morning (that's another story!).

If you are anything like me, you always have a few boxes of cake mixes in the house.  I may not have the essentials to make a cake (oil, eggs, whatever nonsense goes into a cake), but i usually have a box on hand haha!  So I thought... what if I just put a ton of blueberries in a yellow cake.....  I reduced the water to 1/3 instead of 1 cup (used duncan hines yellow cake mix) and voila, it was a healthy/unhealthy snack.  No icing, no nothing.. it basically tasted like a moist muffin.  It was gone within 3 days, probably mostly by me.  (Yes I am aware that this is a completely unoriginal idea that no one will find inspiring.)  Tons of blueberries, not too sweet, yeah it was great.



Second, I finally completed a craft I've been eyeing for a while.  Well, it's not totally complete, one last thing I need to add- a big letter T.  I made a burlap wreath for my front door!  Took a few tries, but once I got the hang of it, it was so easy, so fun, something I could see myself do a zillion more times to make themed wreaths for holidays or gifts!

The materials...  (not including the big letter T)


The mostly-finished product!  I feel like I took this pic at a weird angle... you can trust me, it is a work of ART in person!  haha.

OK, so, how to make this:  obviously you could fill up a board with just burlap wreath tutorials.  I originally tried just using this cute little website:  http://www.thetallytales.com/2014/02/the-secret-to-making-fluffy-burlap.html.  That resulted in mega-frustration because I couldn't "get it."   So then I took to youtube...  And I found a couple great tutorials-  This one was the main one I watched over and over, kept re-watching it:
(I am squealing because I just embedded a video.  I am soo tech savvy!!!!  Look at me!!!!!!)

But yeah, basically you just sort of awkwardly make 3 unsecured loops (one through each wire), then twist the burlap once (the twist appears to be the major thing to remember), then repeat until you're done.  You basically tie it to the wire frame twice; once when you start, once at the end (I guess 3 times if you have to use more than one roll of burlap ribbon, like me.)  It's super awkward until you get the hang of it, then you realize it's silly-easy.  ONE MAJOR THING TO KNOW- this is an outside job.  The jute goes everywhere, including your brown capri leggings.

This other lady ROCKS and broke it down really slowly, and made you feel so comfortable when you're ready to set the freakin burlap on fire because you're losing your mind:

I'm definitely going to check out her YouTube channel.

Now, I mentioned before that I worked out this morning...  I have never been consistent with working out, 4 days on, 3 days off, 2 days on, 3 months off... you got it.  But I am very interested and always feel better inside and out when I do.  Well, I finally tried out Results Matter with Erin... decided last minute to go this morning at 5:30am for Turbo.  Had no idea what Turbo was even, other than it sounded fast and terrible.  It was pretty much awesome, I felt great, it was a good amount of hard but not discouragingly so, and I was in a great mood all day and I can only attribute it that class!  I don't have a great track record with working out BUT I could totally see myself going back.  I highly recommend!

A few other highlights from a great week:
 Andrew LOVES watermelon (and corn on the cob)!
Don't you HATE it when that happens!!!  Makes me lose my mind when I do that.  Happens like twice a year.
We caught butterflies (unsuccessful) and sold lemonade (successful) during Andrew's nap!





ermergerd btw do you totes love my new blog background????   Found it here http://thecutestblogontheblock.com!!!  


ok ok ok ok ok on more PS- KRISTEN CHENOWETH IS KILLING HER SOLO IN DISNEY'S DESCENDENTS!!!  When are they going to give her a starring role in a feature film???  I am soooooo in love with her voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment