Sunday, September 21, 2014

Entry #1!!!

I've decided to try my own blog.  On more than one occasion, a friend has said to me, "you really should have your own blog."  Usually it's when I have some ridiculous rant :)

I never thought I'd want to do a blog.

For, you see, I'm not a writer.

Even as a musician, I identify myself as a performer and an appreciate-er... def NOT a composer.

But, I felt myself wanting to express myself MORE on Facebook.  I wanted to write longer status updates or thoughts on the world.  Not only did I want to write more in terms of quantity, there's more content I wanted to write about, but I often felt like I shouldn't.  I often held my tongue on various things, from the mundane to controversial topics, because I didn't want to "start a thing."

After an increase in this feeling of wanting to self-censor to avoid drama, that I started to feel more and more like FB was the wrong venue for what I wanted to do.  Then, it finally occurred to me:  a blog would be perfect!!!

What makes it different from FB?  In the most basic sense, I would be a free agent.  With Facebook, I was linked and associated with people, and vice versa. I couldn't say anything without people commenting, which of course is the point of FB, and by and large I enjoy partaking in and observing these conversations.  And that's not to say that I don't want people commenting on my blog, but the idea that this blog is an independent entity and not tied to others' news feeds or infringing on their own space was freeing.  If anyone wants to read my blog, they do so in their free will!  And, consequently, this would mean they went out of their way to click on my blog, instead of it passively ending up on their newsfeed.  So, you don't have to read my junk; but if you want to, you can.

That's right.  I am burning the proverbial Facebook bra.  I am a free woman now!

(I thought of that this morning.  I waited all day to type that.  bahahaha!  I hope you enjoyed it.)

And I had SO much fun thinking of a good name.  Originally, I was thinking "a real housewife of the O.C. (Oneida County)"... but it was just too much.  And, honestly, I was afraid of copyright stuff, cuz I'm not that well-versed in that stuff.  "Mlog" ~ Maggie Blog was another... which is fairly dumb.  Or "Madge's magical musical mlog."  But I don't plan on writing that much about music.

Then, I tried to think of a saying or quote or something similar.  Which is when I thought of "Life is but a dream."  We all know it, it's the last line of Row Row Row your boat.  I've been told my Grammy Moulaison used to say it all the time.  And I kinda luffff it.  It's perfectly cute and sweet and I like the connection to my great grandmother.

So, without further ado, enjoy an amped up version of my FB page, essentially.  (This may make you excited, or really nervous... I, myself, feel both.  It could get really awkward.  Like, right now it just got awkward.  Probably because the word "awkward" is the most awkward word.  It's like a visual onomatopoeia.)  I plan to write about various aspects of my life, as well as my view on things (again, I just made things awkward.)...  so.. yeah.  Here goes nothing.


The suspense is terrible; I hope it will last...



No comments:

Post a Comment